Review - Felixitations, by Roger Kean

This was a stunning and haunting collection of stories that I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys beautiful, lyrical, challenging writing. Felix appears in various dates in history and shows men what it is to be with a soul mate and to accept who they are, and who they can be.

The one story I found myself skipping through, oddly enough, was the longest of the stories... because I was in the mindset of shorter stories it just appeared to be too long, so it took me a while to get to enjoy it. However...

My favourite stories include:

The western front
The Nubian's boy
Alabaster in waset
A dog called Sartre - The final story for sure... very cleverly written and it choked me up.

It is, in places, a challenging set of stories to read. This I think makes each one all the more rewarding when you finish.

I must admit I was confused by the blurb which didn't appear to tell you much in the way of story line. I was also overwhelmed by the first story which isn't easy to read. However, once I was inside this palette of colours I couldn't stop reading.
I would recommend this to anyone who likes to be challenged when they read. This is no MM fluff piece - this is grown up writing.

Thank you Mr Kean.

(gorgeous cover btw, suits the book perfectly)

No comments