Remembering Hillsborough

I recall in vivid details the day of the Hillsborough Disaster.

Just as I recall the 7/7 bombings in London, the Kings Cross Fire, Lockerbie, The Herald Of Free Enterprise, Enniskillen and so many other times that the UK has joined together in grief at tragedy.

I remember the photos in the newspapers, I remember seeing the news, I remember learning how people were saved by simply being in the right place at the right time, and how the person next to them died in a horrific way. I recall sons and daughters, husbands, friends, who went to a football game, and never went home. I recall that the game continued for a while until everyone realised what was happening.

And the flowers, and scarves in the gates... and not just Liverpool scarves, but rival teams, and believe me the rivalry between the team supporters is intense. Even now I get emotional at the memories at how the ground was levelled between teams and suddenly everyone felt the same grief for the families who lost members.

I am not a football fan, but today, if I can, I'll join in the minutes silence and I'll think on all the things that have happened here that have shaped our lives. #jft96

2 comments

  1. Thanks for this RJ.. I AM a Liverpool fan, so it means a lot to me that you'll take a few minutes to reflect on that tragedy and all the needless loss of life all those years ago. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete