Twelve Days of Christmas: Day 8 - Liam Livings

Liam Livings visits us today.

Liam is offering a copy of his Christmas story and he would like to know your favourite part of Christmas. Leave a comment here. The winner will be picked on 26th December, at 6pm GMT.




Question 1.       What is your favourite Christmas movie?


Hands down, without any hesitation, The Holiday. Some people are very sniffy about it, saying it's rubbish, it's schmaltzy, it's cheesy, it's not realistic. But those are some of the reasons why I love it. It's got Jude Law, Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz in, which is a brilliant start. It only lasts about ninety minutes – another brilliant factor. It's a classic life swap, happy ever after, but even though the vision of the UK in it is pretty chocolate box, I don't care, because it's so festive and cheerful. I watch it every Christmas and love it just as much. The storyline with the old man is so heart-warming too. Love love love. That is all. 
Question 2.       What is your best Christmas memory


The most distant memories when I was a child are very vague now, but a recent memory is the year Himself and I went to Mum's for Christmas. Due to a variety of reasons it was only to be us three on the day. Mum had felt quite sad about this, but Himself made a big fuss, decorated the dining room and the table, cooked a duck with all the trimmings and we pulled crackers and listened to Christmas songs during the meal. After we'd eaten as much as we could, we retired to the living room where we stuffed ourselves on Christmas TV in front of a log fire. It was magic. We made a proper fuss of it when it would have been easy to say, let's not bother as it's only us three. 
Question 3.       What is the best present you've received?


Peter York's The Eighties and The Official Sloan Ranger Handbook. I was going through a slight obsession with the eighties at the time and they were perfect. 
Question 4.       What is the best present you’ve given?

A trip to Australia to coincide with Himself's big birthday. We decided not to buy each other anything that year and instead our gift was to have 3 ½ weeks travelling around Australia. Except the 23hour flights, it was wonderful.
Question 5.       Santa Claus – real or fake?


Fake, but I wouldn't tell any children that and spoil the magic. I think that magical innocence is something to be kept as long as possible. 
Question 6.       What is your favourite Christmas book?


Someone usually buys me the latest celeb autobiography for Christmas, which is, in its own way festive as far as I'm concerned. My recent favourites have included: Jennifer Saunders – Bonkers; Mary Berry – Recipe For Life. Both entertaining, heart-warming and funny in places and perfect to curl up with on a winter's night next to a fire with a glass of snowball filled to the brim. 
Question 7.       Do you like eggnog?


Does advocaat count, with lemonade and a glace cherry? It's then called a snowball. 
Question 8.      What do you eat at Christmas?


I'm not a big turkey fan, so prefer duck or chicken, but if there's a houseful of us, or we're at someone else's it’s usually turkey. My question is, if turkey is so great, why don't we all eat it all year round, and not just at Christmas time? Just saying...
Question 9.       Be honest, when do you put up the Christmas tree?


Depends if we're away for Christmas. It usually goes up the first weekend in December. 
Question 10.       When do you open your presents?


Christmas day morning, with champagne and nibbles, or a cup of tea and biscuits depending on where I am. 
Question 11.       Do you have snow at Christmas?

It has occurred sometimes and other times not so much. It's more likely to snow in January / February in the UK. There's nothing I can do about it, so if it snows I'm happy, if it doesn't snow I'm also happy because it's a family holiday. 
Question 11.       What is the best – all-time – Christmas song. Ever!

Stay by East 17. It reminds me of a lovely family Christmas in 1994 when it was number 1 in the UK singles charts. The boys are from near where I live now, it has furry coats and fake snow in the video and the songwriter from the band wrote it about missing his mum after she'd died.  Tears, snow, big coats, a good East End London accent - it has it all as far as I'm concerned


The Next Christmas by Liam Livings

Buylinks: Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.com | JMS

Blurb: In a snowy small town in England, just before Christmas, garage mechanic David and office worker Christian are preparing to spend the festive period with Christian's parents. The parents who told Christian last year he wasn't welcome to their family festive celebrations since he told them he was gay.

But this year it will be different, the parents welcome their son and his boyfriend, David with open arms; different except for when it comes to their sleeping arrangements.

Will David and Christian's love overcome prejudice and old-fashioned views?

Can David actually enjoy playing Pictionary?

Will David's best friend, Tony stay sober enough to offer his own particular brand of no nonsense advice from his perfect Christmas with friends, when David is up to his neck in family problems?

13 comments

  1. I love baking with family and getting to spend time with loved ones. It's so nice to have time to relax and have fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. Never heard of this song before. I'll have to give it a listen.
    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice interview. Have a Happy Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it when the deccies go up!
    Not watched The Holiday yet - must be remedied
    I remember in the 70's Dad giving me a snowball drink at christmas and thinking I was very grand!! From memory it was a bit nothing-y though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those coats, big enough to get lost in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Liam and family

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember East 17,their Parka's and fake snow it brings back fond memories. I hope you have a great Christmas whereever you are this year Liam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite thing about Christmas is spending (extra)special time with my family, i feel that everything on Christmas is a bit easier/relaxter.

    Merry Christmas!

    ahpg(at)ziggo(dot)nl

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like spending time with family. For example I took a day off work today and took my mom shopping and out to lunch. We weren't in any hurry and just took our time...so nice. :-)
    PS: I'm now going to YouTube to see if I can find Stay by East 17. Once again, another
    Christmas song I've never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you, we do not have snow here... at all. Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snowballs are yummy, haven't had one of those in years.

    Favourite part of Xmas is seeing the kids faces on Xmas morning when they see their presents. Hope you have a Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Champagne while opening presents? I will have to try that...maybe with a bit of OJ.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dinner with family:)
    dejemew@centurylink.net

    ReplyDelete