Ask RJ: Writing a lead character with autism

Tim Crowhurst asks: would you ever write a lead character with an autistic spectrum condition?

For anyone who might be reading this and not understand why Tim might ask this question then I should briefly explain. My son, Matthew has autism.

I have actually written an autistic child into my Texas series. Max is little, only 4 when we first meet him. I write from experience with a difficult, challenging, issue.

As to writing a lead character on the spectrum? I don't know, and that is my honest answer. The thought of what difficulties Matthew may face when he is older is enough to worry me. To write an adult with ASD may well make me think too much about these difficulties. While I would always write a happy ever after for any one of my characters, I am not yet ready to immerse myself into a story about an adult with ASD.

I hope that doesn't disappoint people :(

No comments