Ask RJ: Why do I self publish

Why did you decide to self publish?
When Silver imploded I had twenty or so books with no home, including Sanctuary and Texas, and I already had Love Lane books set up as a name to get my YA short stories out. I was stuck in that peculiar place - should I go with a publisher for my books? Or should I just try and get my books out there through LLB. I was nervous about both options but decided to give self-publishing a try.

What do you like about self-publishing?
After getting the first few books out *independently published* I was hooked. I had complete creative control over cover art, editing, release dates, and price... I also worked hard on my own approaches to marketing and found they worked better for me. I have nearly all of my books self-published and apart from a couple of books with a few publishers that is the way I will continue to make my books available. In fact I am actively taking back some books with publishers because I can do more for myself than they can. When you get to the point that you say *what can a publisher do for me that I can’t do for myself* then that is the time to self publish.


No comments