December 2013 Reviews Round-up

Crooked Tree Ranch

Boy Meets Boy - 4/5 - "....There are two things RJ Scott really excels at.  The first is the slow burn.  I’m not normally fond of the slow burn.  I’m more of an insta-love fan.  I have the patience of a four year old who was just told they were going to visit Disney World soon.  When I come across a slow burn, while reading I usually end up saying something like “When are they going to get together?” or “Just hurry up and fuck already!”.  But with Ms. Scott’s books I get drawn in and find myself more invested in the story than the sexy times.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’m all for the sex but I like everything else that goes into one of her books just as much.  The way it is drawn out is not angst ridden.  It is more of a natural progression; something you would see or experience yourself in real life.  Funny thing is, this is the fastest I have ever read of her MC’s getting together.  Usually it takes months or even years with her characters.  This time it only took three weeks.  But it felt like a lot more time was spent with them getting to know each other.  It felt realistic and natural...."

The Novel Approach - 4.5/5 - "....With this being the first book in the series, there seems to be a lot of foundation building and character introduction, and that sometimes makes the story slow down. One of the things I loved was that Nate and Jayden didn’t just hop into bed five minutes after meeting. They actually got to know one another. I think this makes the romance more believable and gives them something great to build on...."

Paranormal Romance Guild - 5/5 - "....This is a beautiful love story between two men, each with secrets they are afraid to reveal. It is about two men devoted to their families. Nate's is devoted to his two brothers and Jay's is devoted to his insecure, abused sister, and her two children. Can Montana be the place that finally brings peace and love to both men? Will Nate and Jay find the love they never had? Will Ashley finally gain the strength she needs to never allow herself to be abused again? And, can Jay bring about change at the Crooked Tree Ranch?  All I can say is bring on the next one...."

The Romance Reviews - 4/5 - "....CROOKED TREE RANCH is an engaging start to a new series from RJ Scott, and like all of her stories, it's warm, wonderful and has a touch of sass. And as always, it is incredibly well written. This has complex characters with the city Jay versus the country Nate dynamic working here...."

Joyfully Jay - 4.75/5 - "....Crooked Tree Ranch is the first in R.J. Scott’s new series Montana, and I am already dying for the next book. This story is full of drama, mystery, and super-hot moments. I am a huge fan of Scott and her ability to draw me into a story. Crooked Tree Ranch is just another example of why I love her books so much...."

Book blurb, more reviews, excerpt and buy links



Texas Christmas


Mrs Condit Reads Books 5/5 - ".... Whenever you think RJ Scott might be running out of characters to write about in this series, guess again. I loved seeing Jack and Riley again, and all of their children, including the three new ones from Texas Family...."

MM Good Book Reviews - 4.5/5 "....So I might (under torture) admit to having to wipe a couple of tears away at certain times during this story, and some of those tears might have been for the joy and love that smacks you in the face, but some of those tears were also for the pain and heartache that Liam suffered and rolls off the page to torture your heart. Damn you R.J. Scott! I also admit to loving this story completely and having fallen madly in love with Max, that little tyke just about rips your heart out with his little hand *the one not clutching Thomas* and he refuses to give it back...."

Multitaskingmomma - 5/5 - "....Texas Christmas was beautiful. It gave the love, it gave the drama, it gave the loving between the men and for those seeking some bit of hotness, well, there were a lot of HOT! scenes. I could never have finished this series within the week without falling in love with the men of the DD ranch. Highly recommended...."

Sid Love - 5/5 - "....The minute I started reading, I felt drawn in, not wanting to do anything more than finish reading it and feeling so sad when I reached the end. I felt a bit worried that perhaps this is the final one? Or is there more to come? What about a spin off with Darren or example ?

I also want to take a moment to applaud the author for continuing this series, as it is not a standalone part but one where you need to have read the whole series. It often it seems a gamble to take that risk and unfortunately (in my opinion) it makes authors shy away and choose to do a part in a series that is more stand alone rather than continuing to work with the characters of the former parts of the series.

So a big compliment *taps head* to miss Scott for going that way and making this a very complete series. Thank you !...."

PRG Reviews - 5/5"....I loved this book and being updated on all the members of Jack and Riley's family. I will not go into detail as to the birth of the twins or if the adoption of Max works out those are things you have to find out for yourself. I just can't wait to start the next book in this wonderful series...."

Boy meets Boy Reviews - 5/5 - "....RJ Scott has taken the Campbell-Hayes saga and wrapped it in a glorious red Christmas ribbon which, when it unfolds, gifts us with a wonderful finale for the many memorable characters whose lives have intertwined with Jack and Riley in this series...."

Book blurb, more reviews, excerpt and buy links




The Case of the Sinful Santa


The Novel Approach 4/5 - "....I love this series by Amber Kell and Rj Scott. Not only are there some pretty cool paranormal beings, but the interaction between them all is very entertaining. There is a great mystery, some hot lovin’ and even a bit of humor. I can’t wait for the next book in this series. Maybe we will FINALLY find out exactly what Sam is...."


MM Good Book Reviews - 4/5 - "....I really do enjoy this series and how it’s progressing. You never know what we will face next, what interesting characters we will be introduced to, or what new problems will arise. And we can’t help but wonder when poor Sam will get an actual paying case that doesn’t end up involving him, Bob or Mal in some way. Zeph and Nick make interesting additions to the little group of friends and they bring that extra angst as they face down those uppity Angels and they get a surprise visit...."


Mrs Condit & Friends - 5/5 - "....The thing I like best about the End Street series is that it doesn’t. End, I mean. This is book four and there are already hints about future stories. Bob and Sam still rule the roost, but the other characters from past books make an appearance, too, rounding out the cast and making for a heck of a read...."


Book blurb, more reviews, excerpt and buy links




The Christmas Throwaway

Mrs Condit & Friends - 5/5 - "....The Christmas Throwaway by RJ Scott is a character driven story that highlights the all-too-common tragedy of kids being thrown out of their homes by their families for being gay. With a smooth plot flow, and a backstory that fills in the gaps, you can’t help but be pulled into this sad, yet ultimately hopeful tale. The author’s style is eloquent, insightful, and concise, and pulls back the curtain on a subject all too many people want to pretend doesn’t exist. This lovely Christmas tale has a HEA ending that I absolutely loved. So if you’re looking for a story that skillfully blends heartache and hope, then I definitely recommend this book to you...."

Boy Meets Boy Reviews - Natasha - 4.5/5 - "....The writing, in my opinion, was terrific. I felt drawn in, brought into a warm, welcoming place, and held there for the few hours I read the book. This isn’t my first R.J. Scott book, and it very likely won’t be my last either...."

Book blurb, more reviews, excerpt and buy links



Christmas in the Sun

Mrs Condit & Friends - 4/5 - "....Christmas in the Sun is a lovely gentle Christmas story, a book full of heart and and the true meaning of family. It’s a fun story, not plot heavy, it’s more a catch up of what’s been going on, reconnecting with friends and family and it gives us a glimpse into the future plans, in essence a mix of all the things that make Christmas special.

Existing fans of Sapphire Cay will love this Christmas novella and I also think it could be read as a standalone by anyone who wants a feel of what Sapphire Cay, and it’s family, is all about...."


Boy Meets Boy Reviews - 4/5 - "....I’m a big fan of this series. Reading the Sapphire Cay stories are like going on a sexy vacation.  I would recommend reading the first three stories to get the characters, but you want to read them anyway, trust me. There are three established couples working and/or living on Sapphire Cay. A private resort in the Bahamas, Sapphire Cay is a popular spot for destination weddings which is how our two main MC’s, Lucas and Dylan met in book 1....."

Book blurb, more reviews, excerpt and buy links



The Demons Blood



The To Be Read Pile Reviews - 5/5 - "....I look forward to seeing the overall resolution of the series, but the journey is very enjoyable. As always, I am sucked in by RJ Scott to the world the author has created and don't really want to leave it when the book is over!...."


Book blurb, more reviews, excerpt and buy links



Oracle


Boy Meets Boy Reviews - 4/5 - "....some really good adventure but not so much action that you’re dragged away from the romance or the mystery, the elements were balanced well...."





Book blurb, more reviews, excerpt and buy links


No comments