The Spence Cohen Series: Book One by N.R. Walker

Thank you so much for having me RJ, I really appreciate it! Last week was the release of Spencer Cohen Series, Book One. And in light of that, I’m going to talk about writing a series.

First off, let me preface this by saying I’m not a plotter. At all. For me, planning a story begins with the main character’s name, his intended love interest’s name, opening the doc and writing the words “Chapter One”. Usually I have a general direction I know these boys will go, and more often than not, I will write the final/closing scene first. Kinda like knowing your destination, then going back and starting at the beginning for the entire journey.

And for me, writing a series is no different. I can honestly say, from all the series’ I’ve done (Red Dirt Heart, Turning Point, Blind Faith, Thomas Elkin, Cronin’s Key) I’ve never intended them to be more than one book. I simply started to write and when that book was done, their story wasn’t. So, I would open a new document and repeat the whole process over again, sometimes writing three or four books, until the characters told me their story was complete.

But with Spencer, I had a plan. Well, kind of. As much as I can plan anything, anyway. I needed to write something shorter―my brain was done with research-intensive novels after the Cronin Key Series, which had a combined word count of over 200K words, and I needed to write something short and fluffy. When I first had the idea of Spencer, he was supposed to be cocky and arrogant, his story was supposed to fun and sexy. But when I finally got around to writing him, he was telling me a different story. He was more complex than that. He had a not-so-nice past and some layers to peel back, so I knew one book wasn’t going to be enough.

I kinda knew his story would be more like Thomas Elkin’s. Three shorter stories with a consecutive timeline, each instalment showing a different level of character and development in their relationship. I’m happy with the three instalments and Spencer and Andrew’s story is complete―but I wouldn’t rule out a revisit to them somewhere in the future. I just can’t promise it this stage.

So while each story isn’t exactly a novel, they’re not that short either… Spencer One is 42K words, Spencer Two is 52K words, and Spencer Three is 50K words. So to put it simply, the story wouldn’t have worked as one book. Not only would the length, and therefore price of a 144K word book, be too high, the story Spencer was telling me was definitely in three parts. And I learned a long time ago not to argue with the characters in my head because I am, after all, just the one who types their story. ;)

So, more about Spencer One. I originally made the cover myself after finding the most perfect double exposed photograph, but I sent it to the lovely Sara York who works her magic with all my covers and she really made it perfect.




Here’s the blurb:

Spencer Cohen is the guy who gets answers to relationship questions. Playing the role of the new lover, his job is to make his client’s ex realise one of two things: he doesn’t want to break up or he really does. Either way, his client gets answers.

The ex would either apologize and beg, or turn and walk. But in the end, Spencer’s client won. If he wanted his ex back and got him, it was great. If the guy walked away, then as hard it was for the client, he knew it was over. Regardless of the outcome, Spencer’s work was done.

Andrew Landon’s ex left him without so much as an explanation. But his sister can’t stand to see him miserable, so, much to Andrew’s dismay, they hire Spencer to be Andrew’s new boyfriend to get the ex back.

For Spencer, it is never personal. Merely a business transaction. No emotions, no strings, no complications.

Yeah right.

Even a blind man could see how this would end.




Spencer Cohen Book One is exclusive to Amazon, and can be found HERE.

Spencer Cohen Book Two will be released March 17th, and Spencer Cohen Book Three will be released April 21st.




RJ's Review: 

I've never met an NR Walker book that I didn't love.
The first book in her Spencer Cohen series, is wonderful. I fell in love with the characters. Enjoyed their journey so much and as usual with a NR book, I wanted more.

Loved and Highly recommended.

N.R. Walker’s Bio: 


N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance.
She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who live in her head, who don't let her sleep at night unless she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but likes it even more when they fall in love.

She used to think having people in her head talking to her was weird, until one day she happened across other writers who told her it was normal.

She's been writing ever since...

N.R. Walker’s Internet Links:

nrwalker2103@gmail.com

Facebook timeline

Facebook Page

Twitter: @NR_Walker

No comments